
A surfer lost off Puerto Rico’s coast for more than a day was located last week following an extensive search by the U.S. Coast Guard and other agencies, authorities said.
Coast Guard officials in San Juan launched the search after being notified Friday evening that a man staying in a local Airbnb had failed to return to the residence since the previous day.
The man’s daughter later confirmed that the 68-year-old had gone surfing near Surfer’s Beach in Aguadilla around noon on Jan. 8 and had not been heard from since.
Multiple agencies joined search efforts both along and off the shoreline, including the U.S. Border Patrol and the Puerto Rico Police Department. The Coast Guard Air Station Borinquen also deployed a helicopter to assist with the operation.
“Due to surrounding rocks, reefs, and sea conditions, the location was inaccessible by foot or boat. The aircrew conducted a flawless hoist operation and safely recovered the individual aboard the aircraft despite difficult nighttime conditions and low visibility.”
Authorities reported that the surfer was found in stable condition and safely transferred to emergency medical services at the air station.
“What a terrific outcome!” Capt. Robert Stiles, deputy sector commander of the Coast Guard Sector San Juan, said, calling the search and rescue “a team effort.”
“We activated the inter-agency search and rescue effort as soon as we received the information, especially after realizing that it had been more than 24 hours,” he added.
The Coast Guard released audio of the moment Stiles told the man’s family he had been safely found.
“What I have for you is great news: We located your dad,” Stiles said during the phone call. “I’m sure he’s dehydrated. I’m sure he’s had a rough night, but he’s conversant … he’s alive and well.”
“Oh my gosh, thank you so much,” a woman, presumably his daughter, replies.
After the rescue, Stiles encouraged beachgoers to take property safety precautions before going out into the ocean.
“This case could have easily had a different outcome,” he said. “We urge all mariners and anyone entering the water to have a plan, communicate your intentions with someone and wear all proper life saving equipment.”

